Thursday, January 7, 2010

#67. Buy a book about composting

This may sound really silly, but amazon makes some of my dreams come true.  I am obsessed with books.  Given, I have plenty on my selves that I have not read, but I never pass one up.  From decorating to anatomy to fiction and award winners, I love them all.  When I bought my baby food books, I also picked up a book about composting.

I think maybe its the dad in me, (dad is a farmer) that makes me obsessed with gardening.  Not flowers necessarily, though I think they are beautiful and am envious of my mom's ability to surround her self in beauty, but vegetables and fruits.  I made Zac promise that when we build a house, if he gets a home theater room, I get a green house.  What has two thumbs and digs on plants....this girl!  Even though I've never had my own home, I plant a little garden at each house I live in.  I even go so far as to dry my own spices.  Oregano, sweet basil, rosemary, thyme..etc.

The natural progression of this for me is to start making my own compost.  I think I'm a little bit of a hippy at heart.  Perhaps thats why I like my hair long and don't bend to my sisters' will and cut it :)  I really want to decrease my need for store bought foods and "live off the land." Not too hard to do when your family raises cattle and you can garden (especially if I do get that green house!)  I want to try to limit the waste I produce that goes into landfills too.  So much of what we throw away can be recycled or composted its shocking.  It takes a little time and effort to become knowledgeable, then its a matter of putting things into place and letting the system run.  This is my way of becoming knowledgeable and making sure I can set an example for my family.  I really believe that everyone can make a difference and it all just takes a little effort


3 comments:

  1. The saying is not who has two thumbs and likes gardening - I would post what it really is, but sooooo inappropriate. I still vote with Maggie - cut the hair because it's always in a pony - sorry :(

    ReplyDelete
  2. you see me when I'm working on furniture. i never wear a ponytail to work. ever.

    ReplyDelete
  3. i think it's hard to find the space to recycle all that stuff...let me know how you do it!

    ReplyDelete