Friday, February 12, 2010

#63 Change Zac's contribution to this work 401K

Oddly enough, I didn't increase Zac's contribution, I lowered it.  Now I am a debt freak, can't stand it, can't stand the thought of it, so it is super important to me that Zac and I always put away money for retirement and our future children.  With that being said, this was my reasoning for cutting back on our savings....we have multiple retirement accounts.  I was very proud of Zac though.  He had been contributing 12% of each paycheck to his work 401K, which is awesome.  I bumped it down to 5%, the portion that the company matches, and will start moving 7% of his after tax pay into his Roth IRA.  Keep in mind readers, Roth IRA are taxed now, not later when your money has grown, which is the oppostite of a 401K.  Hit up your roth.....You can contribute a max of $5000 each year (yeah right) so that's the goal to shoot for!

And that concludes your mini financial lesson of the day :)

1 comment:

  1. This is smart sister, but what's smarter is taking that extra money and instead of the Roth - paying off your current debt you pay interest on. Everything I read says pay off debt first, create a safety net savings account second, then save for retirement 3rd - then if you can - save for college.

    ReplyDelete